It’s fireworks night and all around the skies are starting to fill with the whizz & crackle of tonight’s celebrations here in the UK. OK, lots of the major displays have been going on all weekend for convenience sakes but tonight is the night.
Later this week Doug Shaw is hosting The Carnival of HR and one of the themes he’s suggested is “Fireworks in HR“. Very seasonally British of him and I think an perfectly appropriate theme for a blog on tonight of all nights!
Does your HR make a Sis-Boom-Bah?
Ever come across this phrase? Sis-Boom-Bah? Apparently it’s a cheerleading chant with origins way back in US college sports. It’s meant to be an imitation of the sound of a skyrockets’ flight (sis), the burst of the fireworks (boom), and the reaction of the crowd ((b)ah).
You can just picture the scene around a fireworks display can’t you?
The thrill of the rocket being lit. The rush of power and then its curving arc in the sky. The explosion of colours and sounds. The people below, craning skywards, breathing out their appreciation.
Sis…. BOOM!…. Ahhhh. Brilliant!
Sis-Boom-Bah may be a colloquial onomatopoeia but why can’t HR be this thrilling, this engaging? Why can’t we put some fireworks into HR? I think we can…
Here’s a quick, fun guide on how to create fireworks in your practice :
- Get a rocket. It’s all about purpose & potential? What is your purpose, your proposition. What potential & talent do you need?
- Lighting the rocket. Who’s going to unleash the potential in your team? Who’s going to point it in the right direction? What ignites that talent?
- Make sure there’s an audience. Who’s this for? There’s got to be someone around to both benefit & appreciate your performance. It may come with both helpful & unhelpful advice, nevertheless these will be your cheerleaders.
- Let it rip. Don’t hold it tight. Stand back and let it find it’s natural path. If you’ve got the pieces beforehand right then what can go wrong? Even so, get the safety gear ready just in case! Watch the performance and be on hand to step in when you need to.
- Boom! Achieve your objective. Tell it loud and proud. There’s a reason fireworks are colourful. Why shouldn’t you show off a little too!
- Ahhh-preciation. See the reactions of your audience. Appreciate the cheerleading. Enjoy that moment with those stakeholders – heck even grab a hot-dog with them afterwards. Recognise what you’ve achieved.
Isn’t this just a seasonally light hearted post? It is but here’s the serious point….
If you’re not having fun then you’re not going to perform at your best. You might even look to fulfil your potential elsewhere. Follow your senses and create some fireworks in HR. Make a Sis-Boom-Bah!